Read any acne skin care manufacturers website and you would think that they had found the cure for acne. Yet as we know a cure has not been found although some experiments with blue lights are showing promise. So how do you know what are the best skin care products for acne?
The simple answer is you don’t. The problem with all skin problems is that the underlying cause will differ from person to person. So what works for one, may not work for another.
But some simple tips to help you manage your skin problem are:
1) Go and see your doctor to make sure that an underlying hormone problem is not the root cause of your acne. Extreme pimple breakouts can be a sign of polycystic ovary disease in women. This illness can lead to infertility and serious health issues including diabetes so you need to rule it out.
2) Your acne may be related to your age. Pre menopausal women can develop acnes as their hormone levels begin to fluctuate.
3) Acne can be a sign of pregnancy so if you think that may be the cause of your skin problem check it out. This is especially important if you are considering using some of the oral treatments available for acne as they can cause serious birth defects.
4) Is stress making your skin break out? Adult acne often occurs in highly stressed men and women. So at times of great personal stress such as redundancy, divorce or death an acne breakout may occur.
5) Your diet may be making your pimples appear. It is not as simple as saying don’t eat French fries. Your whole diet needs a complete overhaul as you may be deficient in minerals and vitamins such as selenium, zinc, vitamins A, C and D etc. Missing out on these vital nutrients can cause anyone to suffer from a variety of skin issues.
6)Finally, your existing acne skin care products may be at fault. Too often we strip all the goodness out of our skins whilst looking to get rid of acne. Yes, acne is caused by excess oil production but your skin needs some oil in order to stay fit and healthy.
Although you have oily skin you still need to moisturise to keep your skin healthy. Chose oil free moisturisers when buying skin care products for acne sufferers. You also need to use an oil free cleanser. Those containing ethanol (alcohol) help to reduce excess oil and thus may prove useful if your skin can tolerate it.
Never exfoliate if you have acne with pustules. You could easily break the thin membrane covering the inflamed pimple and you will spread the bacteria across your skin thus infecting other spots. This can cause a lot of discomfort and pain never mind making your acne a lot worse.
The best skin care products for acne are the ones that suit your personal needs. Try out different types until you find the most suitable one for you.